The firm’s expertise in property development benefits from John Mahoney’s extensive experience in the planning and environment area over many years. John was the senior vice president of the Urban Development Institute of Australia and headed the Institute’s Integrated Planning Act committee which liaised closely with the state government and other interest groups in the formulation of that Act.
Able to draw on John Mahoney's expertise in Town Planning Law, the partners and lawyers at Mahoneys have been involved in significant property development work. That has extended from the acquisition of greenfield sites for commercial or residential development to advising on complicated issues in large residential developments and canal estates. One of the more significant projects the firm has looked after was the acquisition, development, leasing and sale of the huge Ikea and Mega Centre at Springwood.
The range of services offered in this area include:
- Site acquisitions for all types of property developments;
- Providing town planning advice about proposed development applications and development approval conditions;
- Negotiations with local authorities and State Government Departments on development approval conditions and where necessary institution and conduct of Planning and Environment Court Appeals;
- Preparation of commercial and retail leases and agreements for lease for all types of commercial and retail developments;
- Preparation of off the plan contracts for flat land subdivisions, and residential developments of all descriptions;
- Preparation of tailor made documentation, community management statements, management rights agreements, by-laws and requisite statutory disclosure documentation for strata title developments;
- Acting in the sales of flat land and strata titled residential, commercial and mixed use developments;
- Advising on and preparing documentation for mixed use developments including volumetric subdivisions and building management statements; and
- Liaising with the ASIC in relation to Management Investment Act issues and preparation of specific disclosure statements for prescribed developments.