John is one of the founding partners of Mahoneys and is now the firm’s Chairman and the head of the property law team. John has a passion for property
law and has developed a particular expertise in management rights and helping resident managers throughout Queensland and Northern New South Wales.
John’s range of clients is as diverse as the specific areas of law in which he specialises. He acts for one of the state’s largest land developers,
other large developers and public companies as well as a large number of smaller and medium size developers.
The knowledge John has developed in management rights has enabled him to become a trusted advisor to many of his clients and this has resulted in many
referrals and a lot of repeat business. His experience enables him to quickly understand complex matters and steer his clients to an outcome that
suits their situation. He is often involved in dispute resolution where clients use his expertise to negotiate outcomes to problems without the
need for expensive litigation.
John holds a Bachelor of Laws and was admitted as a lawyer in Queensland in 1978, and he was also admitted in New South Wales in 1990. John is also
involved with many industry bodies and has acted as the senior vice president of the Urban Development Institute of Australia in the past.
John has over 35 years’ experience in most areas of property and business law. He has handled an extensive range of property and business purchase/sale
transactions from vacant residential land to multimillion dollar commercial properties, suburban homes to huge caravan parks, small hardware businesses
to large multi-storey hotels and major management rights transactions. John also has an interest in the area of town planning and has advised a
number of national clients and conducted or overseen the conduct of a large number of appeals in the Planning and Environment Court.
John’s key focus areas for his practice include:
- Property Development - planning advice, site acquisitions, subdivisions and mixed use developments
- Management Rights - conveyancing, dispute resolution and advice
- Property Conveyancing - leasehold and freehold, particularly commercial properties
- Business sales and acquisitions
- Land Act - acquisitions, conversions, leases and transfers
- Planning and environment court appeals, general development, planning and environment advice
Some of the work John has been involved with of late includes:
- Preparing contract and disclosure documents for a new mixed use commercial and residential development in North Queensland
- Advising a major developer on planning, development and title structuring on a major mixed use development in Brisbane
- Acquisitions and dispositions of major management rights businesses
- Presentations throughout Queensland at seminars on the recent changes to the management rights and property legislation