Focused expertise in property law
With economic growth and change comes property development – a complex and exciting area of the law.
Property development projects are often years in the making, involving large sums of money, regulatory authorities and multiple stakeholders.
Mahoneys’ specialist legal support overcomes challenges for our property clients and helps them take advantage of opportunities. Every partner and lawyer at Mahoneys has been involved in significant property development work at various stage of the development life cycle. From the acquisition of greenfield sites for commercial or residential development, to advising on complex issues in large residential developments and canal estates and litigation, Mahoneys has experience in achieving optimum outcomes.
We regularly assist developers with financing arrangements for developments and advise them on how to structure their development companies for optimal risk allocation and tax effectiveness.
A strong track record of achievement
Mahoneys’ expertise in property development law stems from partner John Mahoney’s extensive experience in the planning and environment sector. John was the senior vice president of the Urban Development Institute of Australia. He also headed up the Institute’s Integrated Planning Act committee, which liaised closely with the state government and other interest groups in the formulation of that Act.
A significant project for Mahoneys was the acquisition, development, leasing and sale of the sprawling IKEA and Mega Centre at Springwood in Brisbane’s south.
Full service property development and real estate lawyers. Mahoneys.
How we help
Mahoneys experienced property team can assist you with a broad range of development and real estate matters, including:
- Site acquisitions for all types of property developments
- Town planning advice about proposed development applications and development approval conditions
- Negotiating with local authorities and State Government Departments on development approval conditions
- Instituting and conducting Planning and Environment Court Appeals where necessary
- Preparing commercial and retail leases and agreements for lease for all types of commercial and retail developments
- Preparing off-the-plan contracts for flat land subdivisions, and residential developments of all descriptions
- Preparing tailor-made documentation, community management statements, management right agreements, by-laws and requisite statutory disclosure documentation for strata title developments
- Acting in the sales of flat land and strata titled residential, commercial and mixed-use developments
- Advising on and preparing documentation for mixed-use developments, including volumetric subdivisions and building management statement
- Liaising with ASIC in relation to Management Investment Act issues and preparation of specific disclosure statements for prescribed developments.